* ‘Tram Inspector’ the first single from Songs From The 86 Tram has been getting a fair spin around Melbourne. It scored Single Of The Week’ in Inpress: “….The Bedroom Philosopher’s hysterical skewering of meat-headed ticketing inspectors falls somewhere between a Fame-era Bowie slink and inspirational Hunners balladry. I like my musical comedy to, as the name suggests, be musically captivating first, funny second. Luckily, with Tram Inspector, both come equal first.” Clem Bastow. It’s up on iTunes. Triple J have favoured ‘Northcote (So Hungover)’, my first playlist add since Pomo in ’05. The album is looking set to come out late March.
* Would anyone like to do a remix of one of the album tracks?
* A big ‘ol BP ad will feature in the next Frankie magazine, due out mid-Feb. This includes details of a run of dates April/May with Josh Earl, who is about to unleash his ‘Womans Weekly Cake Book’ fury on Australia. We’ll be touring Canberra, Sydney, Adelaide, Hobart and Launceston. I’ll be doing Brisbane solo.
* I’ve moved house, again. The fifth sharehouse in two years. Is this some kind of record? Is it the fact I write my name on my bananas? I think this is the one. Neat location, cheap rent, sweet people (a couple), quiet surrounds and a bedroom with an adjoining sunroom bit separated by doors that I can set up as an office. This is something I’ve wanted for a while, to avoid the OCD nature of self-managed admin hell, where the first thing you do each day is check your emails in the nude.
* Lime Champions is back on the air after a summer break. You can tune in every Monday at 7pm on Melbourne’s Triple R. Or stream it live, relatively easily at www.rrr.org
* I’ve ceased my columns with Canberra streetpress BMA and The Big Issue. This is due to increased busyness. I got a bit burnt out towards the end of last year. At one point I made a play castle out of toast and tiny teddy’s.
* I sold some stuff on Ebay for the first time. The highlight was a promotional photo of the Sick Puppies from 2001 (my uni journalism days) which fetched $30 from a Japanese gal. I also got $10 for some old ‘Chaser’ newspapers from a guy on Magnetic Island who requested that I ‘pack well please.’ The rest was the best of my basketball card collection from 1994. (I amassed about 750 LA Laker cards. Pity they were such a crap team back then.) Unfortunately, most of my Magic Johnson laker cards didn’t go past $1, which made the exercise a bit more trouble than it was worth. (Especially when I spent $30 on an online subscription to find out what the cards were worth. Not much. I needed some Shaq rookie action. Shaq attack! (Sorry if I’ve lost you girls.)
Good luck in Edinburgh. Sounds exciting.
Look forward to the album thigy ma bob…
I have heard your Northcote (So Hungover) song on triple j a few times over the last week or so and I liked it so much that I wanted to send it to some of my friends who I think would enjoy it. Is it available anywhere online yet?
Hola! Song will be up on itunes soon, within a couple of weeks. The album will be released sometime soon also, hopefully within the next couple of months. Stay tuned.
Heard your ‘So Hungover’ on JJJ a couple of times. I was listening on the radio at work and had workmates looking at me as I burst out laughing. I found a bit of your stuff on youtube. You are brilliant.
awesome…. brings a smile everytime. SSo true.. so glad I found the culprit of these lyrics and tune. more please………….
Hi!! I saw your performance at the fringe, my friends and i couldnt stop talking about how awesome it was for weeks after. I nearly peed my pantsduring it though becasue I didnt want to leave in the middle and miss any. I didnt have any cash for a teeshirtat the time, can i order one online?
wasn’t a big fan of post modern but Northcote song is very witty and easy on the ears. I love it.
I’ve never laughed so hard at a song before, Going to buy So Hungover now!
Now having an identity crisis…
Justin Bieber? Hello?
Your so hot!! I love your hare please marry me!!
Wow, I should get jjj airplay more often. This folk kitchen is starting to COOK! Unfortunately, I’m justin Heazlewood – but, I would make an infinitely better husband than this naive drip. (A Canadian popstar I just learnt about by googling).
How do you even know he owns a rabbit?
He did…it was tasty
Love it. Someone I don’t know has just eluded to eating a Canadian popstar’s pet based on my comment on the inability to spell of another person I don’t know who didn’t know who I was.
hey you, i’ve been a fan for aaaaaaaaages, and was very pleasantly surprised to hear so hungover on jjj
love you’re work, i have a signed copy of in bed with my doona from like 3 yrs ago 🙂 can’t wait for the new album. yay!
dude?! since when did you have five albums? ok, whatever. I am a failure as your fan. I apologize. Profusely.
It’s cool. I really only have two with a third on the way. One’s a maxi single and one’s a collection of jjj recordings….Don’t worry, when the reckoning comes everyone who bothered with brown & orange will be taken up to folk heaven. All aboard the Northcote bandwagon!
how do we get the lyrics??????
gahhhhhhh pls pls pls
At the time you asked that I was trying to type them out. As someone on YouTube said it’s like typing out a Hungry Jacks order. Enjoy: